Author Upgrade Wheel Thoughts  (Read 803 times)

• Online mgordon   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Online mgordon

• Daytona Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: #240
    • City / Town: Colorado
    Upgrade Wheel Thoughts
    on: January 25, 2024, 08:03:29 pm
    January 25, 2024, 08:03:29 pm
    This is going to be a "next year" project, as I'm still in the process of converting my M2 for the track, but it's always fun to look at fancy parts on the internet

I'm going to want to eventually grab a second set of wheels in order to make track days easier, and I'll look to get an upgraded set of forged wheels.  I've never ridden carbon wheels on a motorcycle so don't have any strong opinions, but my current preference is to stick to Alloy. 

The two options that stand out to me are the Dymag UP7X and the OZ Racing Gass RS-A.  I'm curious if anyone on the forum here has any experience or opinions about these (or others)?

They both seem to be a comparable weight and cost, and I don't really have any objective way to assess quality.  The Gass are stylistically similar to the stock wheels, which is nice - but the Dymags are British, which is also a nice theme to stick to.

https://www.ozmotorbike.com/en/wheels/gass-series/gass-rs-a-series/gass-rs-a-rear

https://dymag.com/product/up7x/

Since I'll be buying new rotors, I'm also going to decide whether I want to stick to 310mm or bump to 320mm with 5mm spacers under the calipers.

Anyone have any thoughts to share?  Thanks!
    Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:07:36 pm by mgordon

• Offline Far Canal   au

• Daytona Pro  ‐    114

Offline Far Canal

• Daytona Pro
    • Bike: 765's and 675's
    • Number: #405
    Re: Upgrade Wheel Thoughts
    Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 01:57:57 am
    January 26, 2024, 01:57:57 am
    BST carbon wheels all the way. I have them on 4 of my bikes and highly recommend them.

• Online mgordon   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    77
    • Topic Author

Online mgordon

• Daytona Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: #240
    • City / Town: Colorado
    Re: Upgrade Wheel Thoughts
    Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:32:59 am
    January 26, 2024, 02:32:59 am
    *Originally Posted by Far Canal [+]
    BST carbon wheels all the way. I have them on 4 of my bikes and highly recommend them.

Wow, you have really committed.  I know they tend to be a little lighter - is that the primary factor for you?  Have you had a chance to ride or compare to any similar high-end Alloy wheels?

Also curious about parts availability and any customer service experience you may have had with them?