Author Modification update  (Read 2137 times)

• Offline Saul   nz

• Daytona Newbie  ‐    11
    • Topic Author

Offline Saul

• Daytona Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Daytona no 6
    • Bike: Daytona 765
    • City / Town: Tauranga
    • Number: #728
    Modification update
    on: December 29, 2023, 05:41:08 am
    December 29, 2023, 05:41:08 am
    Hi all, I thought I would put a bit of internet fodder in front of you to read or not. I am not satisfied with the map that I have on board even though on paper it looks right. The reason is that I have a slight hesitation around 7k right where you don't want it. I have put a DNA airfilter in today and have also purchased a second hand set of headers which I have decatted. Man the cat looked inpassable 🙂 . I have a dongle coming and have TuneECU on board. I'm looking forward to the difference that these updates will make. This is about clean power delivery and  AFR not HP.  🙂 Interstingly I have no discussions with anyone on this site. Is this because I'm a bit late to the party and no one is interested on this site?

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    352

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    • Bike: D765 (US), GS, TV4
    • City / Town: Petaluma, California
    • Number: #105
    Re: Modification update
    Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 11:03:18 pm
    January 27, 2024, 11:03:18 pm
    *Originally Posted by Saul [+]
    Hi all, I thought I would put a bit of internet fodder in front of you to read or not. I am not satisfied with the map that I have on board even though on paper it looks right. The reason is that I have a slight hesitation around 7k right where you don't want it. I have put a DNA airfilter in today and have also purchased a second hand set of headers which I have decatted. Man the cat looked inpassable 🙂 . I have a dongle coming and have TuneECU on board. I'm looking forward to the difference that these updates will make. This is about clean power delivery and  AFR not HP.  🙂 Interstingly I have no discussions with anyone on this site. Is this because I'm a bit late to the party and no one is interested on this site?
    The forum isn't as active as it was a few years ago but it is still alive.

With regard to your bike and the hesitation.... I was an early adopter to the D765 though I put the Arrow OEM slip-on for the 13-17 D675 on the bike almost as soon as I got it but I don't recall any particular hesitation at any point before or after the slip-on. I rode the bike that way for ~7k miles and eventually got a full Bodis exhaust and tune in May 2023 which just made everything better (not that I had any complaints before). I did get the ECU update available from the dealership in, I think, 2021 but that was the only thing for engine/exhaust I did until the 5/23 tune on a dyno.

To answer your question directly though, I didn't experience any 7k RPM hesitation in stock form with a slip-on with nearly 6,000 track miles.

• Offline Tripler   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    141

Offline Tripler

• Daytona Pro
    • "Cars move your body, motorcycles move your soul"
    • Bike: Moto2, CBR1k, SX1000
    • City / Town: Raleigh, N Carolina
    • Number: #88
    Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 09:50:27 am
    February 12, 2024, 09:50:27 am
    Did you use TuneECU to update your map? 
    What did the dealer's map do for you?
    Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 10:04:17 am by Tripler

• Offline Tripler   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    141

Offline Tripler

• Daytona Pro
    Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 12:04:40 pm
    February 12, 2024, 12:04:40 pm
    Reading the tuning thread, "ECU remap for North American owners", I see we need:

1.  the free app from TuneECU.net
    2.  an Android device.  SAMSUNG Galaxy A13 is $148
    3.  a bluetooth OBD connector. OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD2 is $90
    4.  an OBD adapter cable. 
         IS THE CABLE WE NEED ONE OF THESE TWO? https://www.ebay.com/itm/126299110872?var=427336279232
    5.  visit a local tuner or buy a map from TuneECU

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    352

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 04:59:54 pm
    February 12, 2024, 04:59:54 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tripler [+]
    Reading the tuning thread, "ECU remap for North American owners", I see we need:

1.  the free app from TuneECU.net
    2.  an Android device.  SAMSUNG Galaxy A13 is $148
    3.  a bluetooth OBD connector. OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD2 is $90
    4.  an OBD adapter cable. 
         IS THE CABLE WE NEED ONE OF THESE TWO? https://www.ebay.com/itm/126299110872?var=427336279232
    5.  visit a local tuner or buy a map from TuneECU

If you check with your tuner who does Triumph tunes, they should have all the hardware already. Tuning via TuneECU is a bit different that Flashtune and some of the others so I wouldn't want to be the first person whose bike they tune.

That said, yes, to tune it you need an Android tablet, TuneECU software (which is a subscription now unless you bought earlier and you're grandfathered in), and the OBDLink bluetooth 'dongle' which plugs in directly to the OBDII port already on the bike. No cables necessary.

I would personally get TuneECU and an Android tablet and the dongle for personal use, just for running diagnostics and resetting the service indicator, clearing codes, etc.

• Offline Tripler   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    141

Offline Tripler

• Daytona Pro
    Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 01:46:22 am
    February 13, 2024, 01:46:22 am
    Thanks aardvark! 
    I hadn't downloaded TuneEcu before they went to a subscription.  Thanks for telling me I don't need an adapter.
    I only know of two moto dynos around here and only one I would trust.  I'll ping him tomorrow.  He's pretty sharp and between the 2 of us, we ought to be able to figure it out.   :821: :745:  Or blow it up

I'll call the two dealers that are both 90 minutes away.  Maybe, they can recommend a tuner.
    Otherwise, I'll have to truck it somewhere, but surely NOT to the Pacific Northwest!! 

I could try one of TuneECU's files, but would need some assurance before loading that. :187:
    Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:55:51 am by Tripler

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    352

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 04:13:30 am
    February 13, 2024, 04:13:30 am

I'll call the two dealers that are both 90 minutes away.  Maybe, they can recommend a tuner.
    Otherwise, I'll have to truck it somewhere, but surely NOT to the Pacific Northwest!! 

I could try one of TuneECU's files, but would need some assurance before loading that. :187:

You could check in with 2 Wheel Dynoworks to see if they have any counterparts on the East Coast.

If I recall correctly, the TuneECU files for the D765 are stock dealer files, which is what comes with our bikes. The way my tuner did it was to dyno the bike with the stock map (stacks & headers already installed) and then did the tune (starting with correct air fuel ratio). I did ask him to pay special attention to the first 20% of the throttle opening as well.

If your tuner hasn't used TuneECU and wants to give it a go, there are plenty of instructional videos online. I'd start with this one: 

If you (or the tuner) needs to purchase an Android device to do the tune, I'd suggest a fairly snappy and at least 11" tablet, don't go for the base whatever at $149, it will be miserable to use and will likely be deprecated within 6 months (ask me how I know). You might also consider a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard because the little boxes in TuneECU are a bit of a hassle to edit.

The software also works with previous generation Piagio (Aprilia, Guzi), KTM, and older Ducatis so you might find a tuner with some experience if you dig around in regional forums or FB groups for any of the bikes supported by TuneECU. You might also try local club racing forums/groups in your region for reputable tuners.

Once you have a tune for it, ask the tuner to send it to you because if the bike gets updated by a dealer, it will probably overwrite the tune.

• Online Pangowin   us

• Daytona Member  ‐    34

Online Pangowin

• Daytona Member
    • Bike: Daytona Moto2
    • Number: #290
    Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 04:56:30 am
    February 13, 2024, 04:56:30 am
    Thanks aardvark! 
    I hadn't downloaded TuneEcu before they went to a subscription.  Thanks for telling me I don't need an adapter.
    I only know of two moto dynos around here and only one I would trust.  I'll ping him tomorrow.  He's pretty sharp and between the 2 of us, we ought to be able to figure it out.   :821: :745:  Or blow it up

Woolich recently added support for the 20-23 Street Triple 765. I'd imagine you could use that to tune your bike and finding a tuner that uses Woolich should be easier. 2WDW mentioned that they should have support for mail in ECU tunes for Triumphs once they get a bench harness and some base testing done.
    Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:59:23 am by Pangowin

yeasty-need