Author 130 MPH Isle of Man Supersport Lap!  (Read 23185 times)

• Offline Benisuzume   us

• Daytona Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline Benisuzume

• Daytona Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2020 Daytona 765R Mo
    • Number: #448
    130 MPH Isle of Man Supersport Lap!
    on: June 08, 2023, 03:07:03 am
    June 08, 2023, 03:07:03 am
    Who else saw Peter Hickman do a 130mph lap on the 765 in the second TT supersport race? Two second place finishes behind Michael Dunlop is no small feat! Go Triumph!!!

• Offline Jay765   gb

• Daytona Pro  ‐    268

Offline Jay765

• Daytona Pro
    • Jay765
    • Bike: Daytona 765
    • City / Town: West Malling
    • Number: #494
    Re: 130 MPH Isle of Man Supersport Lap!
    Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 04:50:14 pm
    June 09, 2023, 04:50:14 pm
    Yes watched that on UK TV last night, I remember being at the TT when the Superbikes reached 130 mph the first time  :028:
    Dunlop on an 600 and the Triumph 765 with Peter Hickman on board is pretty good going, Dean Harrison was also just a bit slower.

The Hickman's TT Triumph is actually based on the Street Triple 765 RS, as are most of the current Supersport 765's.
    Not sure why they don't use Daytona Moto2's as these must be a better starting point.

Gary Johnson (not at the TT this year due to injuries) but won on a Daytona a few years back said that the Daytona has better geometry than the Street triple for racing, must be the head stock angle or similar.

Peter Hickman had a Race Daytona for sale as the London Bike show in February and it was advertised as a Moto2, but it had a black frame and standard top yolk without any limited edition reference so that must have really been either any earlier Daytona of a modified Street Triple. 

So it looks like all the 765 Triumphs are pretty competitive in the right hands  :821:

• Topic Author

Offline Benisuzume

• Daytona Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 05:41:35 pm
    June 09, 2023, 05:41:35 pm
    *Originally Posted by Jay765 [+]
    Yes watched that on UK TV last night, I remember being at the TT when the Superbikes reached 130 mph the first time  :028:
    Dunlop on an 600 and the Triumph 765 with Peter Hickman on board is pretty good going, Dean Harrison was also just a bit slower.

The Hickman's TT Triumph is actually based on the Street Triple 765 RS, as are most of the current Supersport 765's.
    Not sure why they don't use Daytona Moto2's as these must be a better starting point.

Gary Johnson (not at the TT this year due to injuries) but won on a Daytona a few years back said that the Daytona has better geometry than the Street triple for racing, must be the head stock angle or similar.

Peter Hickman had a Race Daytona for sale as the London Bike show in February and it was advertised as a Moto2, but it had a black frame and standard top yolk without any limited edition reference so that must have really been either any earlier Daytona of a modified Street Triple. 

So it looks like all the 765 Triumphs are pretty competitive in the right hands  :821:

Yeah, I know they all pretty much use the Street Triple 765 RS for the race bikes. In sprint leagues at least, I think it might have something to do with what qualifies as a "production bike" as per their rules, and they probably didn't make enough Moto2's to qualify.

Poor Dean Harrison, always a Bridesmaid. His time is coming, though. He's crazy fast. And yeah, Gary Johnson did the business a few years ago on the 675 like you said. Him and Lee are both out this year sadly. I think another 765 got eighth in the second supersport race this year too. And they do alright in British Supersport with the McManus Brothers and World Supersport (well, Tuuli does, not so much Truelove, not that I have any room to judge, lol).

Also, Peter Hickman got that 765 up to 170mph in the speed trap! Only like a few tenths or so down from Dunlop's R6. Not to shabby at all. And seeing Dunlop pass McGuinness in TT wins this year was also pretty special.

Now it's time to watch the Senior!

• Offline Manxkiwi   nz

• Daytona Member  ‐    40

Offline Manxkiwi

• Daytona Member
    • Bike: 765 Dayt + 2 D 675Rs
    • City / Town: Pukekohe
    • Number: #415
    Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 07:21:18 am
    July 19, 2023, 07:21:18 am
    Hicky also won on a 675 in 2019. Just saying.

• Topic Author

Offline Benisuzume

• Daytona Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 01:25:38 am
    July 31, 2023, 01:25:38 am
    *Originally Posted by Manxkiwi [+]
    Hicky also won on a 675 in 2019. Just saying.

Oh yeah, I saw that one too, I was cheering the whole time, lol. Back when I still had my 675R Daytona before I traded it for the moto2.