Author Topic: factory extended warranty? reliability?  (Read 489 times)

Offline Jeff_S

• Daytona Member
  • Bike: 765 moto2
  • City / Town: Austin
  • Number: #634
factory extended warranty? reliability?
on: January 22, 2022, 04:45:01 PM
OK, I'm not one that ususally opts in for factory warranties - but, perhaps y'all have some experience here?  I'm getting a new 2020 Moto2, and have a ~$1500 option for an additional 60 months factory warranty.  That's not exactly cheap, but also way, way less than a top end or gearbox or other big mechanical failure would be.

So - anyone with a few miles on theirs had any real issues?  This will be my first Triumph, but my understanding is that reliability is pretty darn good.

Offline Zeitgeist

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765 Moto2
  • City / Town: Kitchener Waterloo
  • Number: #231
Re: factory extended warranty? reliability?
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 04:01:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Jeff_S [+]
So - anyone with a few miles on theirs had any real issues?  This will be my first Triumph, but my understanding is that reliability is pretty darn good.

This bike is my second Triumph and I must say that the build quality is top notch.

My first bike was a 2018 Street Triple 765 S… same deal, better quality components for entry level bike.  I had it for 3yrs and I’ve put 16000km on it (10,000miles).  I’ve done minor mod’s and rode that bike very spirited both highway and city, never had one single issue…

I understand that the Moto2 engine internals are a bit different but with improved reliability, the best Triumph has ever done for the 765 engine.

The question you need to ask yourself is, are you going to ride your bike stock for five years… otherwise you’ll be tippy toeing around that extended warranty every time you want to modify your bike outside of cosmetics trying not to void it.

Cheers!…
Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:10:52 PM by Zeitgeist

Online Sordo

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765
  • City / Town: Meppen
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 05:12:46 PM
the engine of the Moto2 is based on the engine of the Daytona 675 from MY 2013. The housing parts are all compatible and most parts in the engine are the same. the only thing that can still cause problems are the shift star with pivot plate and shift shaft (material price is ~ €250) exchange is done in a maximum of 2 hours. the zero play wheels that were responsible for the total damage to the engine are no longer installed on the M2 and Streety 765 from model 2020. in Germany, all Triumphs from registration 07/21 have a four-year factory guarantee. I have had two 675R, now one more and two Moto2. all are driven on the racetrack, a total of now more than 60,000 racetracks and a few thousand country roads and apart from the selector shaft and selector star no repairs. Valve clearance should always be checked!

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 07:12:41 PM
I had the 2014 ST675R, a 2013 D675R, presently a 2018 STRS765 and the D765m2 and follow several forums related to the bikes.  On the current generation, the biggest thing that I see (on forums and groups) is the occasional TFT dash failure (none on the D765/m2, only on the STRS, though they're nearly identical parts) and the rare QS glitch.  Some people mention replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual adjuster.  I've never had a failure on any of my Triumphs though would occasionally get an error code on the D675 but it would clear itself after a couple of sessions on the track.  My D765 has about 3500 track miles (+1k street miles) and the STRS is at 11k+ mostly street and some track miles.  The newer bikes definitely stepped up the game in terms of fit and finish, not that it was bad on the previous generation, it's just better now.  I did not purchase an extended warranty on either because it just feels like an unnecessary expense and I'm glad I didn't!  Near the end of the factory warranty, I always take my bikes in to the dealership for a checkup (even if I have to pay for it) and to get the latest firmware updates.

Offline Jeff_S

• Daytona Member
  • Bike: 765 moto2
  • City / Town: Austin
  • Number: #634
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 02:12:05 PM
Great feedback, thanks folks!

yeasty-need