Author Wheel swap possible?  (Read 1112 times)

• Offline JLI   ca

• Daytona Newbie  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline JLI

• Daytona Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 765
    • City / Town: Vancouver
    Wheel swap possible?
    on: November 14, 2021, 12:42:26 am
    November 14, 2021, 12:42:26 am
    Hey folks, wondering if anyone has swapped over wheels from another bike. I need a second set to keep slicks on, and I don't want to splash out on carbon. Neither the dealer or Triumph could tell me whether there would be anything that would swap over without modification. Has anyone done this with a 675, Speed Triple, Street Triple, etc. Please and thanks.

• Offline ChaWARma   fr

• Daytona Pro  ‐    132

Offline ChaWARma

• Daytona Pro
    • Bike: Daytona 675 & 765
    • City / Town: France
    • Number: #754
    Re: Wheel swap possible?
    Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 02:09:14 pm
    November 14, 2021, 02:09:14 pm
    Daytona 675 from 2013

• Offline JLI   ca

• Daytona Newbie  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline JLI

• Daytona Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 765
    • City / Town: Vancouver
    Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 04:47:02 pm
    November 14, 2021, 04:47:02 pm
    Oh wow, amazing -- thank you. Very thrilled to have options.

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    258

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
    • City / Town: Petaluma, California
    • Number: #105
    Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:37:09 am
    August 30, 2022, 12:37:09 am
    *Originally Posted by JLI [+]
    Hey folks, wondering if anyone has swapped over wheels from another bike. I need a second set to keep slicks on, and I don't want to splash out on carbon. Neither the dealer or Triumph could tell me whether there would be anything that would swap over without modification. Has anyone done this with a 675, Speed Triple, Street Triple, etc. Please and thanks.

Old post I missed but I can add to it:  Street Triple 765 RS wheels/brakes go right on too.  I have a 2018 Street Triple RS and I've borrowed its wheels for cool/damp days where I wanted DOT tires at the track.

• Offline motoridernj   us

• Daytona Member  ‐    17

Offline motoridernj

• Daytona Member
    • Bike: R1,Ktm890,701SM.....
    Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 02:57:33 am
    August 31, 2022, 02:57:33 am
    Thanks. It must be me but these wheels are some of the hardest to take on or off. The front and rear require a rubber mallet for the install. Are there any hacks that could help? Perhaps I should start a new topic. Cheers

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    258

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
    • City / Town: Petaluma, California
    • Number: #105
    Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 04:17:05 am
    August 31, 2022, 04:17:05 am
    *Originally Posted by motoridernj [+]
    Thanks. It must be me but these wheels are some of the hardest to take on or off. The front and rear require a rubber mallet for the install. Are there any hacks that could help? Perhaps I should start a new topic. Cheers

Captive spacers are your friends!  With those, the front is easy for me, without them, it can be a fight.  Once you've loosened the threads on the front axle and pulled the calipers, lift the wheel straight up and the axle should be easy to push out.  For the rear wheel, things go together smoothly ~50% of the time on the first try for me (used to be more like 20%).  I'm actually toying with the idea of a captive rear brake setup since I'm changing rears about every 2 track days.  Until then, on the rear, captive spacers will definitely help.  I also use the Pitbull tire wedge when I'm taking a rear wheel off, snug it up pretty good under the tire before removing--if I've got enough pressure against the tire I don't need a mallet to knock the axle out and I can push it through flush on one side and grab it from the other.  Then line things up as straight as possible when putting the wheel back in.  I did one last night in less than 5 minutes (including time to get the tools out, torque wrench and put it all away) so I must be getting better.

• Offline motoridernj   us

• Daytona Member  ‐    17

Offline motoridernj

• Daytona Member
    • Bike: R1,Ktm890,701SM.....
    Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 01:22:03 pm
    August 31, 2022, 01:22:03 pm
    Your the source, thank you. I placed an order on the spacers with the track parts guy a week ago and hoping it will help as it has for you (try to support the locals). I will try this Friday as I have to do some swaps. Cheers!

yeasty-need