Author Topic: 765 Tyres  (Read 612 times)

Offline nigelrb

• Daytona Master
  • Bike: Daytona 765 Moto 2
  • City / Town: Worcester UK
  • Number: #210
765 Tyres
on: January 07, 2020, 08:17:34 PM
Most purchasers will know the new Daytona comes with Pirelli Super Corsas.

Good choice from my perspective. I have them on my 2018 Blade and find them brilliant - for an average rider. Word from other owners though is that they are not so predictable in the wet. But who the heck will take their 765 in the wet anyway? :156:

Offline Jay765

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765
  • City / Town: West Malling
  • Number: #494
Re: 765 Tyres
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 01:31:44 PM
I have to agree the standard tyres on the 765 from the factory are definitely towards the track use end of the spectrum, reserved for dry and ideally warmish tarmac really
Daytona 765 (#494)
2020 Ninja 1000sx
2005 ZX636 (slowly ridden track day bike)
2017 Fantic Casa 250 (hardly ridden enduro)

Offline Jay765

• Daytona Pro
  • City / Town: West Malling
  • Number: #494
Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:58:57 PM
More on Wheels than tyres, but I was very impressed to see that the White wheel rim line on "UK and RotW" bikes and Red on the North American Daytona 765's are actually hand painted pin stripes rather than stick on rim tape.
The "Daytona" label is a sticker on the rim but on the factory tour they were very proud to show in the paint area all of the wheel rim lines are hand painted by manually spinning the wheel on a turntable whilst someone with a steady hand paints the line on.
For those who have their bikes I hope that you can confirm this is true and they weren't just feeding me a line (pun intended).

Also I can see on some of the pictures that the tyre valves are 90 degree angled types (normally metal) with this type I have found that a foot pump with a straight screw on valve is much easier to use on this type of valve than the more common push on and lock the lever type. Michelin do a good pump for little money from Halfords and the like with the straight screw on valve.
During the race season I have to check and adjust a lot of tyre pressures some times with limited time to get it right so you find out what works best (and easiest).
Daytona 765 (#494)
2020 Ninja 1000sx
2005 ZX636 (slowly ridden track day bike)
2017 Fantic Casa 250 (hardly ridden enduro)

Offline nigelrb

• Daytona Master
Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:22:50 PM
Yes, Jay. Lines are definitely painted. 'Daytona 765' is a sticker/decal, so I will take care when cleaning rims!

Correct about the pump. I have angled valves on a Honda, and it's a pain in the butt to attach the clamp. I must lose about 8 psi in releasing it!! :008:

Offline kncrew

• Daytona Member
  • City / Town: NASHVILLE
  • Number: #194
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 05:16:41 PM
Okay so I picked up a nail and had to get my rear tire replaced. Should hopefully get the bike back tomorrow. The rear tire costs just over $300 USD for the super corsa, but the dealer sold me the tire for cost at $239. Who knows if it's cost but use this info for the future when buying some tires!

Offline nigelrb

• Daytona Master
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 06:50:29 PM
Wow. what a bummer for a near new tyre.

Sounds expensive to me, but the dealer's probably factoring in a fitting and balance fee also. I love Super Corsas and have them on one of my Hondas. Will not hesitate to replace with the same, although the Metzler M7RR enjoys a similar good reputation. :002:

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:37:03 AM
For those of you taking your D765s to the track, in the US and maybe the rest of the world by now, the Pirelli track side vendors have access to the Super Corsa TD (track day) which, from what I can tell, is identical to the SP v2.  I've used them several times at fast intermediate to slow A group pace (and the tire was not holding me back, it was me) and they ran me, I think, 340 USD for a set including M&B.  I love the street and track version of the tire but I live in a *mostly* dry climate and most of my riding is pretty twisty.  Not a great commuting or wet weather tire by any means.  On my Street Triple I run the Rosso Corsa II and that is a superb tire for road work and some track work with some wet weather capability.  YMMV.

Offline Richard

• Daytona Newbie
  • City / Town: Buckinghamshire
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 05:17:10 PM
I have had two of my bikes out on track this year. Striple RS on Bridgestone S22's and 996 Ducati on Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corse 2's. Both were excellent giving superb feedback.  Depending on price (S22's generally a bit cheaper) either will be gracing my D765 when the time comes.  The OE fit tyres are excellent but not if you get caught out in the rain or the trackday looks like its going to be a wet one.

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 05:26:29 PM
To add more recent info from my experience with the TD...  I recently read that it's a single compound tire whereas the SuperCorsa v2 is a dual compound.  I cannot confirm.  I can also tell you that at my last 3 track days I have been actively working on my trail braking.  Twice with aggressive trail braking I felt the front start to let go but it was much more benign than I would have expected and super easy to recover.  I did not have to 'save it with me knee', I just felt it starting to get loose on the front and I released just a smidge of brake pressure and all was good.  Only missed my apex by a foot or so.

data-full-width-responsive="true">