Author Topic: Where / how do you mount your GoPro and/or Aim Solo2?  (Read 205 times)

Offline zhangela

• Daytona Newbie
  • Bike: #557
  • City / Town: SF
Where / how do you mount your GoPro and/or Aim Solo2?
on: September 14, 2021, 11:23:01 PM
Just got a new Daytona 765 (#557), planning to use it as my new track day (and next year, race) bike.

How do y'all mount your GoPro and AIM Solo2? Can you share a photo & link to parts?

Bonus point if you are able to mount it in such a way that it would be AFM racing legal.

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
Re: Where / how do you mount your GoPro and/or Aim Solo2?
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:05:23 AM
Congrats on your bike, it's a great track/racing platform!  I fabricated a simple Z shaped bracket from sheet aluminum from Amazon and used a $40 metal 'brake' from Harbor Freight for bending it.  I spent more time making the template out of cardboard than I did fabbing the aluminum.  It attaches to the front of the fairing stay.  This is for my Solo 2 DL (now the 'GS dash') inside the nose of the fairing.  The location is good because it's pretty much invisible unless you're sitting on the bike looking for it however in long left hand turns it will sometimes have intermittent satellite signal so I see some slightly wonky speeds in the middle of Thunderhill T2 and Sonoma T6 but otherwise it's great.

Another option is the SW-Motech steering stem RAM ball mount.

For cameras, I used the oval shaped RAM ball mount to the stock mirror location.  I did have to grind down one edge a little so it fit the contour of the track plastic and elongated the bolt holes but it's much more secure than an adhesive GoPro mount.

Looks like you're in the North Bay (California).  I'm at a good number of track days and am happy to show you what I did.  I'll be at Sonoma on 10/11 and THE on 10/23-24.

Note:  I've since switched out to the AiM EVO4s with the GS dash which is too wide to fit horizontally but the Solo 2 DL worked fine in there horizontally.  I never took the bike racing but I can't imagine it not passing tech as I had a similar setup on my previous race bike that I used this year.  For the camera you could just put a short tether on there and you should be good with the AFM though I've never had any RAM mount stuff come loose.

Offline zhangela

• Daytona Newbie
  • Bike: #557
  • City / Town: SF
Re: Where / how do you mount your GoPro and/or Aim Solo2?
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 12:24:10 AM
Thanks @aardvark9! Super helpful.

I'll be at THE 10/23 weekend too. Are you bringing your Daytona? I'll look for you there!

data-full-width-responsive="true">

yeasty-need