Author Topic: First look into the motor  (Read 685 times)

Offline Xian_140

• Daytona Newbie
  • City / Town: Chicago
  • Number: #523
First look into the motor
on: November 30, 2020, 05:41:33 PM
With 2020 coming to a close and only one remaining race (Next weekend at Homestead), I had time to look into the 765 motor.

One thing that I noticed right away, was how easy the motor turned over by hand.
On top of the Camshaft cradle, there are build date and inspection markings... Glad to see this motor was not an Monday of Friday build.
Just like the Gen 3, there is a "plugged" spot for a speed sensor in the transmission. On Gen 3, this was used with the Race-Harness in lieu of the rear wheel sensor. I am hoping that means we will be seeing a Race Kit package for this bike.
On a side note, the Gen 2 Kit harness might work, but the Throttle bodies are "Fly-by Wire" so those would need to be replaced.

The bike has adjustable camshaft sprockets, which is nice.
While I did not bother to measure cam duration, but only duration @ 1mm lift, it would seem these camshafts are similar to Gen 3 Race camshafts.

Camshaft timing from the Factory appears to be achieved by an alignment key on the camshafts.

Valve clearance pockets are all machined on a Cast piston. This tells me that all of these motors are going to have similar potential.

After setting the camshafts to my targets and checking the internal clearances, I am expecting great things from this machine.
On my Gen 2, a smaller camshaft adjustment had a 7% gain at the wheel (using race cams).

On a side note, this is NOT the same motor as the Street Triple 765, this is a unique beast!

-X

Online ChaWARma

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 675 & 765
  • City / Town: France
  • Number: #754
Re: First look into the motor
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 08:08:39 PM
thank you for this very interesting feedback 👍🏼
Daytona 675R 2011
Daytona 765 Moto2 #754

Offline RastaRacing

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Moto 2 765.
  • City / Town: SW Ontario Canada
  • Number: #251
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 01:21:34 AM
Yes thank you very much for posting all your findings.

How did you do racing this year ?
2003 Harley Davidson LE 100yr Anniversary flat track replica
2007 675 road
2008 675 race 
2009 675 race 2012r pro built motor
2020 765 road / race

Offline Xian_140

• Daytona Newbie
  • City / Town: Chicago
  • Number: #523
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 10:01:06 PM
*Originally Posted by RastaRacing [+]
Yes thank you very much for posting all your findings.

How did you do racing this year ?

Racing was well... Different this year (who expected that!)

Plan was to race MA Twins on a Ducati M797.
Roebling Road was going to be my testing grounds, but the Ducati had not even made it to the dyno.
Ended up taking a 2012 675R down there, having never ridden or tested the bike. Turns out the bike was setup wrong making terrible power.
The next possible race weekend, Daytona 200 weekend, everything shut down till June. This made everything more challenging (for all of us)

The Ducati made it to the Dyno and one of the pistons failed. (Cracked by the intake valve relief, no real damage to anything else)

The 675R slowly got sorted, first the suspension then to the Dyno.
It was not my build, I bought it already built and off the Dyno I ended up having to redo the motor.

By August, the bike was doing what it should and the last two rounds I found the podium a few times.

This last weekend at Homestaead, it was a new track to me, but my setup felt good.
Sadly we lost one of our own, Lloyd Bayley, on Saturday.
https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/racer-lloyd-bayley-r-i-p/

When we got back on-track Sunday, the bike developed an oil leak, so I called it a day after 2 races.

We are all hoping for a better year next year.
The goal for the 765 is to bring it to Roabling Road in Feb. and then the 200 in March.

How was your year?

-X

Offline RastaRacing

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Moto 2 765.
  • City / Town: SW Ontario Canada
  • Number: #251
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:44:08 PM
Hey Xian140

Sorry to hear about your fellow racer...
God Speed for Lloyd Bayleyís soul.

Yes who would of seen this year coming... what a clusterfuck it was and still is.
Sounds like you still had a good season with a few podiums.Congrats on the podiums.
We donít have to be the fastest racers at the track... just faster then the racer pitted next to us lol.

Ya Ducatiís are nice but fragile.

We where very  fortunate to have such a great organization SOAR, they had many meetings with Government reps and we where able to run a full season.

Was an amazing season with plenty of ups and downs.
I posted the whole season as it happened on my thread I canít stop thinking about my 765.
Check it out.

The team was there all the way for me to do my best. In the end we took 3 wins 2 poles 2nd and a 4 th and a front end tuck to complete the season on the 675 A and b bike dry and wet. 2nd overall. 
On the 765 two 3 rds and a hand full of top 5s. 2nd overall In the Open class.
A mix of top 5s and tens in Superbike on 765 as well.

Third overall in the 3hr endurance series which was a good fun time.

Sv 650 fuel cap leak lost a few laps Finished 3 rd.
Ducati 888. It blew after two laps.
1000 Gsx. Snap the chain. Crack the casing.
 2000 R6 2 top 5s. 
These are all bikes that I jump on. Friends that work the track. We race for free in the endurance class.
Bud supplies the bike to thrash on and get seat time.
I supply the tires and beer after the races.
Other bud is fuel and parts.
All about seat time and good times.
 2021 will be running a 2010 R6 and 2012 675r.

Looking forward to 2021 as Iíll be 50 so lots to in the off season to prep for a epic summer of bikes bikes and more bikes as I canít stop thinking about my 765.....

Have a grt night and I look forward to reading  more about what you find and do to the 765 as I will eventually get there. I know my limitations when it comes to engines.
Clutches value checks staters suspension brakes etc....all the simple stuff I can do. What your doing I can not and donít pretend to know how.
So Im documenting everything that people post so I can prepare a list and do what I can then bring the 765 to Scott Miller  or Pro 6 cycle so Craig Atkins can open it up and get the engine and Ecu set up and have a good starting point with plenty of references thanks to everyone that is sharing there info.
Atari765 has all the info for the Ecu if you need any info on that.

So I thank you again for taking the time to post your findings as you clearly now what your doing and I respect that ten fold.

Any Qs just ask.
Stay healthy X140

2003 Harley Davidson LE 100yr Anniversary flat track replica
2007 675 road
2008 675 race 
2009 675 race 2012r pro built motor
2020 765 road / race

Offline VertolMech

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: 765 Moto 2
  • City / Town: SALEM
  • Number: #64
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 03:36:10 PM
 I was pretty proud of myself for installing some led bulbs and a darker wind screen.....until I saw this post... :008:

Offline Jay765

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765
  • City / Town: West Malling
  • Number: #494
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 01:28:52 PM
Great information as always from Moto2 owners, a bit scary to see just the bare frame bike and a bit out of my spannering league  :034:
Good to see that the Moto2 engines are the real deal and are a road going race spec set of parts, rather than just a tweaked standard 765 engine  :762:
Daytona 765 (#494)
2020 Ninja 1000sx
2005 ZX636 (slowly ridden track day bike)
2017 Fantic Casa 250 (hardly ridden enduro)

data-full-width-responsive="true">