Author Topic: 20200905-06 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day - HOTTER!  (Read 118 times)

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
20200905-06 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day - HOTTER!
on: September 10, 2020, 07:02:17 PM
I booked a 2 day event at my home track, Sonoma Raceway for the US Labor Day Weekend.  I signed up for A group (fastest) and went out for my first time on slicks.  I ran Pirelli SC2 on front, SC3 on rear.  FWIW, based on the wear from these 2 days, I would expect about 4-5 days on a rear.  I also purchased an SC2 (a little softer) and put it on my spare rear wheel.  I still have the original Moto2 wheels with the stock SuperCorsas which I may use on my Street Triple if I take it to the track or on slightly 'moist' track days later in the season but I also have a set of Diablo Race Rains if it's truly wet.

I'm still working on specific techniques and timing application at this track.  I did manage to improve my PB by 1 second on Saturday.  On Sunday I hired a private coach to work with me.  It worked with him following me in the first session, we'd come back for video review, then we would alternate with lead-follow through the rest of the sessions with video review between each session.  Since he has worked extensively with Ken Hill and I've worked with both him and Ken this year one-on-one, we're following something of a curriculum.

What turned out to be the main theme he observed is that since my pace has improved, I was still getting my body into position not quite soon enough.  The idea being that you anticipate and prepare for the next corner sooner since things are happening sooner.  It's not as simple as it sounds but I made progress.  He also took a couple of corners differently than I so I worked on using his lines and it felt good, not necessarily better but it's also nice to build on optional lines for overtaking.

Turn 6 is a long left-hand ~60 mph corner with a lot of elevation drop.  As I've mentioned before, this track is pretty bumpy so staying light on the bike and letting it move beneath you is important.  Being a 180 degree corner and on a middleweight or larger bike your best speed will typically come from treating it as a double apex corner, meaning you use one technique on the entrance and a different one on the exit.

This video doesn't show a PB but it does demonstrates twice how to make the most of double apex corners as the riders I pass (starting about 9:10 into the video) don't really apply that technique.  https://youtu.be/1al-gi-zG7k

We didn't end up doing all sessions as even in the one above the ambient temperature was about 106F and I was starting to make mistakes.  Being a cautious guy I tell myself that if I make 2 or more mistakes in a lap and more than 3 or 4 in a session, it's time to come in.  It worked out to be a great couple of riding days, heat notwithstanding and I am continuing to build my tool box.  While my pace doesn't require slicks, they provided me a huge additional layer of confidence and I liked the way they stuck once warm.

Offline RastaRacing

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Moto 2 765.
  • City / Town: SW Ontario Canada
  • Number: #251
Re: 20200905-06 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day - HOTTER!
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 08:42:58 PM
Thatís awesome you went out on slicks. Yes they will boost your confidence a lot and itís nice and hot there it sounds so easier to keep heat in them off your pace itís there yet but with all the riding coaching you have received this year you will be up to pace quickly and be itching to go faster Mr cautious guy.  :152:

Yes I do agree with your 100% with your call on coming in and re grouping or calling it for the day of two , three mistakes happen consistently.  :028:

ThankS for letting all of know about your wknd. Itís labour day here this wknd in Canada 🇨🇦 so lots trouble to get into.

Cheers !! 
2003 Harley Davidson LE 100yr Anniversary flat track replica
2007 675 road
2008 675 race 
2009 675 race 2012r pro built motor
2020 765 road / race

Offline Atari765

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765 moto2 LE
  • City / Town: Tampa
  • Number: #164
Re: 20200905-06 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day - HOTTER!
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:44:15 AM
Love these track day writeups from you, really inspiring.  :762:
164/765 Tampa, FL

data-full-width-responsive="true">

yeasty-need