Author Topic: 20200829-31 Thunderhill East (3 mile), Northern California  (Read 188 times)

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
While I haven't done the full de-compress yet, I can say the the 3 days (more like 2-1/2 since I left after Monday's morning sessions) were highly successful in me accomplishing what I went out to do, plus a little extra.

At this track I don't feel like I'm quite up to the A group pace quite yet and have about 2 decades of bad habits from when I first started riding here casually.  I'm making progress though... My main objective with this day was to work on trail braking, legitimate trail braking.  By the end of the sessions today, I'm starting to get the hang of it and am have begun to get a feel for front end slip.  Now this messes with what I'd done previously where I'd use little to no brake past tip in so a lot of times I'd over-slow by the time I got to the apex but I'm working on it.  The fact of the matter is that I'm infinitely more confident in what the front end can handle.  I also got to the point a couple of times where I started to feel the front slip but I was able to recover without incident.  A couple of the coaches said it's probably time to move to slicks (I've been using Pirelli SuperCorsa TD tires so far).  As an atheist friend of mine who made the jump last year said, 'you will see god.'.  Anyhow, I'll get those spooned on before next weekend's 2-day event at Sonoma Raceway, my local track (also used for MotoAmerica most years).  I've been reluctant because I wanted to make sure I had good habits (technique and lines) in place before I made the jump.  I've seen loads of riders with poor form get away with stuff that would be unforgivable on a street-legal tire so when they do let go, it's quite a bit more dramatic.

I also decided to join a friend in taking the New Racers School by the American Federation of Motorcyclists.  He and I passed both written and riding evaluation so we're both eligible.  Not sure I want to safety wire everything on my M2, I might keep an eye out for an ex-racer's old Ninja 250, who knows.  I may need to trim back the track days as it isn't leading to marital bliss.

This morning we did a few more sessions though the last one was called short with someone needing a helicopter ride.  That always puts a damper on the day.  We ended up with shiny bikes, improved confidence, and are eligible to race in the biggest Northern California racing organization.

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
  • City / Town: Petaluma, California
  • Number: #105
Re: 20200829-31 Thunderhill East (3 mile), Northern California
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 10:31:06 PM
And for anyone interested in what a fast guy looks like on a D765 M2, this is it:  https://youtu.be/GZb9l6iAkKE

I wish I could take credit but it's a friend/control rider who raced this track a bunch.  In it he's overtaken by a pair of liter bikes but he gives good chase.

Offline RastaRacing

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Moto 2 765.
  • City / Town: SW Ontario Canada
  • Number: #251
Re: 20200829-31 Thunderhill East (3 mile), Northern California
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:11:34 PM
Awesome video. Yes looks very in control.  Nice to see the M2 ridden in its happy place.... at the track.  :745: :745: :745: :745:
2003 Harley Davidson LE 100yr Anniversary flat track replica
2007 675 road
2008 675 race 
2009 675 race 2012r pro built motor
2020 765 road / race

data-full-width-responsive="true">