Author 20200810 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day  (Read 1942 times)

• Offline aardvark9   us

• Daytona Pro  ‐    242
    • Topic Author

Offline aardvark9

• Daytona Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: D765 (US) & STRS
    • City / Town: Petaluma, California
    • Number: #105
    Re: 20200810 - Sonoma Raceway Track Day
    Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 06:38:42 pm
    August 14, 2020, 06:38:42 pm
    *Originally Posted by Atari765 [+]
    A year or so ago I got the HTC Vive pro, it's incredibly seamless, definitely recommend. If you do take the plunge and get one, buy these 3 games off steam, you won't regret it:
    Jet Island, Space Pirate Trainer, Beat Saber

I have a 360 max as well but I usually keyframe and render it out in 2d with that cancerous little app. There is a new tool though you can add to premier to deal with the raw files internally with your editor.

What are your thoughts on best position on the bike for the 360? I've seen people hang them off the side on makeshift selfie stick rigs (looks good, id hate to ride with a stick hanging off bike), or mount on top of helmet, I'm still not sure what's best.
    I like to keep my camera mounts close to the body of the bike.  I'm using RAM mount balls because I don't want my $4-$500 camera flying off.   I've seen the guys with the selfie sticks protruding from the backs of their bikes and think about stability, potential danger (maybe not that much), and the potential for it it to go flying off, not to mention I question the video quality at speed.  Even once I hit about 100 mph I start to see some vibration and at about 120 mph it's very noticeable.  As to camera location, I like the 360 to have a good view of my throttle and brake controls as I use that for coaching (slowest point of the corner, smoothness of throttle application, etc.) so my 360 is mounted with a RAM mount base plate where the right mirror would go.

For editing, I'm new to it but was happy enough with the workflow and results.  For editing and final rendering, I used Final Cut Pro on my Mac.  I didn't document my specifics but I will on the next one I do but this is what I based my process on:  https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Workflow-GoPro-Max-withFCPX-Final-Cut-Pro-X-on-a-Mac/td-p/432819  I've yet to see any instances where it's a simple process, it's very tedious no matter what you use.  My main effort with this first video was to locate existing and potentially new reference points.  Being that the first session was a little slower so I could [mostly] be on line consistently and the fact that traffic was low in this session, it all worked out well for my purposes.  I may run it for all sessions going forward but highly doubt I'll edit and render all the footage as it is so time consuming.  If there's an incident I will or if I see someone with a unique line that I might want to try later, I'll do it for that too.  I can see this as being a valuable tool for reference points/markers and if I'm working on something in particular, I can review it.  I have another 16 track days on the books at this point so the idea of doing it for 6-7 track sessions per day is a bit daunting.

I also run an AIM Solo 2 DL connected to the bike's ECU along with an AIM SmartyCam and the camera does automatic overlays with lap times, engine RPM, gear position, and throttle position.  The video quality is comparatively dismal but the overlay is really helpful.  I've also got an open case with Triumph UK to see if they can give me any information on capturing brake pressure, TC activation, etc.  I'm not super-optimistic on that but we'll see.  I find data analysis really helps me to improve.