Author Topic: Bike Sales  (Read 1085 times)

Offline nigelrb

• Daytona Master
  • Bike: Daytona 765 Moto 2
  • City / Town: Worcester UK
  • Number: #210
Bike Sales
on: April 06, 2020, 09:02:11 AM
Has anyone wondered if we might see a market full of cheap bikes being sold by those desperate for funds due to lost wages/income of the virus lockdown?

Of course no one wants to see our fellow enthusiasts experience hard times, but I do have a feeling that we'll be seeing some good bargains very soon both on eBay and other sites. Makes for quite a predicament really. Snaffling such bargains could be viewed as preying on the unfortunate; although on the other hand purchasers could be seen as helping them out.

Thoughts?

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • Daytona Pro
Re: Bike Sales
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 09:13:53 AM
Think you're right, both from individuals and dealers.

Many dealers are sitting on 1000s pounds of stock that's costing them money by going no where.

I could do with a new car at the moment and I'm hoping the dealers will be dropping prices soon. Lots of room for negotiation I think.

If it's an individual who needs the money then that's not good  :006:

Offline Jay765

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: Daytona 765
  • City / Town: West Malling
  • Number: #494
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 10:16:02 AM
On the last Saturday before the lockdown our local dealer Laguna with sites in Maidstone and Aylesford had a "cost price" new bike sale, they have 50 new bikes from a range of manufacturers they wanted to move on with big discounts off list price. Not sure how many they sold but they just wanted to reduce their stock and turn it in to cash.
All the unsold bikes particularly if they are already registered are losing value week by week.

I was looking to buy a new Kawasaki Z1000sx and verbally the deal as done, but this purchase can't physically be done for now, and it could be a few weeks or may be longer before this changes.

It is going to take a long time for this to economically filter through for all industries  :003:
Daytona 765 (#494)
2020 Ninja 1000sx
2005 ZX636 (slowly ridden track day bike)
2017 Fantic Casa 250 (hardly ridden enduro)

Offline AJL277

• Daytona Pro
  • Bike: 765 Daytona
  • City / Town: North Devon
  • Number: #639
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 03:49:48 PM
Don't hold your breath.

I work for a multi franchise car dealership and having been back at work for six weeks it's never been so busy.
Now some of this is catch up from the lock down. The other is "If I'm not taking the family abroad on holiday this year I'm having a new car  :002:

Offline nigelrb

• Daytona Master
  • Bike: Daytona 765 Moto 2
  • City / Town: Worcester UK
  • Number: #210
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 04:28:29 PM
*Originally Posted by AJL277 [+]
Don't hold your breath.

I work for a multi franchise car dealership and having been back at work for six weeks it's never been so busy.
Now some of this is catch up from the lock down. The other is "If I'm not taking the family abroad on holiday this year I'm having a new car  :002:

Similar story from my local multi-franchise Honda/Triumph dealer. Said to have sold 16 new and used Triumphs just part way through lock down. Clear evidence of an 'affordability' differential between the haves and the have nots. 

Offline DirtyDonuts

• Daytona Member
  • Bike: Moto2 Daytona
  • City / Town: Detroit
  • Number: #188
Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 04:21:04 PM
Same here, I work at a Triumph dealer and we beat our previous years sales in August and made more money than we did last year in July.

data-full-width-responsive="true">